Welcome to A Family House of Prayer Site!

It is only just begun, and yet we are already changing the future. We are one little house … one little house that has become "a house of prayer for all nations." Please, join us in making a difference far beyond the reach of your hands …. Just say “yes” to the Lord and watch Him faithfully complete the work in your own home. “Yes, Lord. Make our house a house of prayer for all nations.” Go to the side bar and look for the first post in March "In the beginning" for starters.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Mary Said Yes


An angel came to Mary and told her the most amazing, scary thing, beyond anything she could imagine.  She would give birth to a child, even though she wasn't married yet.  Not just any child -- God’s child.  And he would be her savior -- everyone’s savior.

I can’t imagine the thoughts that went through Mary’s mind – a dozen reasons to say, “No, you've got the wrong girl.”

But she didn't.  Instead she said, “Yes.  Let it be done to me according to your word.”

Am I like Mary?  In many ways, no, I could never be, and it is unlikely that an angel will appear to me, but ….  What will I say when the Lord calls me to the next seemingly impossible thing?  Is my heart still filled with “Yes?”

Years ago the Lord planted the seeds of “yes” in my heart: hope-filled seeds, bursting with crazy trust -- that God’s ways are higher and infinitely better than mine.

So when the Lord prompted us to adopt from China the first time, we pressed past our own fears and the warnings from people around us, and we said, “Yes.”  And we were blessed with beautiful Li Jiang.

A couple years later when God whispered, “Bring  your children home from school and school them at home,” I thought, “Lord, you must be kidding!”  But we prayed long and hard and pressed past our own fears and doubts and said, “Yes, we trust you, Lord,  that you know better than we do.”

And a couple years after that, when God nudged us in the direction of another adoption from China, how could we say, “No?”  And we were blessed with bright and funny Hui Lan.

But we didn't think then that we’d return to China just three years later to bring home an 8 year old orphan, our amazing Mei Xiang, making us a family of seven – five beautiful daughters, each one unique.

We are fully blessed – though sometimes hard pressed to see beyond the daily challenges, still rejoicing each time we realize the enormity of this call to equip our five lovely ladies for loving and serving their King.

At times the thought has crossed my mind, what if we had said, “No” to these things?

What if Mary had said “no thank you” to the angel’s invitation?  Would God have simply found another  young woman?   Would Mary have regretted her choice?  Did she ever regret saying yes

If I had said “no,” my life could possibly be very different.  By saying “no” I could have earned a lot more money, and we could now live in a larger home like the ones we walk by -- vaulted ceilings, 5000 square feet, large bay windows, perfectly landscaped, and inside our furniture would be classy and comfortable, without scratches.  Our cars would be new and shiny.  And our two daughters could have the best of everything and attend the college of their choice. 
 
            If only I’d have said “no,” possibly my writing career would have blossomed and I’d be a sought-after speaker, traveling the country, with my photo in magazines and catalogues.

            But I couldn't say “no.”

            “Yes” became the only logical response to a Father above who holds all the good and perfect gifts – and his good and perfect gifts surround us now.  Five lovely ladies, learning together, living life together, each learning to love and learning to love learning, and learning about …….LIFE.

            I know that I learn almost as much as they do as we explore the world, mostly from the comfort of our own simple home.  We study science, math, and grammar, and we investigate explorers and missionaries who were brave enough to say yes.  We find out how they changed the world and consider how things might have been different if they had said no.

I could have said “no”  In fact, I was inclined to do so.  I could have simply ignored the invitation.  “No.  Adoption is too risky.  And where will we get the money to do it?”  I could have come up with 100 legitimate excuses.  “No.  Homeschooling is too hard.  Plus, I have a career (or two) to pursue.”

            But I said “yes,” not once, but many times.  And that has made all the difference.

Let it be done to me according to your word… Mary said.

Today we have to tell our kids over and over again…  Just say NO.

Say NO to drugs.  Say NO to inappropriate relationships.  Say NO to certain movies, books, and more.

But I think the harder lesson to teach them is …. Just say YES.  Say “YES to all he has for you.  Say “YES” to his call.  Say “YES” when it seems too hard.

For in saying YES … like Mary, like Abraham, like JESUS himself … That is where we receive the good and perfect gifts of life  … the fullness of this life .. the joy set before us!

As we approach another Christmas season, I hope that somehow these words will ring louder than the bells and whistles around us:

 “Yes, Lord!  Let it be done unto ME according to your word!”

No comments:

Post a Comment